Monday, February 13, 2012

February’s Cocktail: Spiced-Up Passion



I am getting married tomorrow and I really need a drink! And what the devil am I doing blogging the day before my wedding day when I have 70 guests from all over the world to entertain and a million things to do? Good question -  probably one which my soon-to-be husband would ask if he caught me hiding in this quiet corner of Thailand where I have found wi-fi access. For obvious reasons I’ve not had much time to cook of late. So thank god for Buk, the wonderful Mixologist from Bangkok’s Seven Spoons restaurant for providing me with this truly fantastic cocktail recipe. As soon as I am done here I’m marching into the nearest bar and demanding (with the full rage of Bridezilla) that they mix one up for me.


And since I’m here, just one more thing. I’m just going to come out and say it. I LOVE Valentine’s Day. I know it’s not cool. We’re supposed to find it contrived and another ploy by the capitalist machine to get us to spend money on things we don’t need. But the way I see it we have a choice – we either turn our nose up at everything from Christmas presents, to Easter eggs and Valentines cards and sit around feeling smug and liberated. Or we enjoy these moments for the opportunity they give us to celebrate important things in life. Tomorrow, when I get hitched on Valentine’s day, my celebrant Kate will remind people that this is not just a day for romantic love but for the love of friends (and I’m pretty in love with mine right now who have flown around the globe to be here with me). So this Valentine’s Day, why not embrace that sentiment. Don’t blow money on a bunch of roses for your partner but go shopping and cook something awesome and serve it with this delicious cocktail and do it for anyone you love, especially your friends.
 
Ingredients:

Ingredients for Spiced-Up Passion


4 lime wedges
- 2 tsp sugarcane
- 2 fresh passion fruit
- 50ml fresh lime juice
- 110ml spiced rum / or Sangsom if you are in Thailand

Method:
1. Put the lime wedges and sugarcane into the boston glass
2. Pour in the fresh lime juice
3. Cut the passion fruit and put the flesh into another glass
4. Slice up some passion fruit peel for decoration (optional)
5. Pour the rum into the second glass and stir the rum and passion fruit seeds together
6. Put some ice cube into the boston glass
7. Strain the rum and passion fruit into the boston glass
8. Shake well
9. Garnish with a slice of lime and passion fruit peel
On that note, I have a wedding to get to…


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your wedding! This cocktail sounds like it would really hit the spot (I love anything with passion fruit)...

    ReplyDelete